Founded in 1961, the Sioux Empire Kennel Club (SEKC) brings together a special breed of extraordinary people who share a love of dogs. Its members are dedicated to upholding the integrity of the American Kennel Club’s Registry, promoting the sport of purebred and mixed-breed family dogs and breeding dogs for type and function. The SEKC is an all-breed club that has been a member of the American Kennel Club since 1968 and shares its objective: To advance the study, breeding, exhibiting, running and maintenance of purebred dogs. But the club is not only for purebreds, family dogs are welcome and open to compete in a variety of competitions. With more than 100 dog enthusiasts as members, the club is committed to advocate for the purebred show dog or family companion, advance canine health and wellbeing, work to protect the rights of all dog owners and promote responsible ownership. The SEKC is a proud sponsor of the Sioux Falls Humane Society and BIG PAWS Canine Academy and Foundation, an organization that trains and provides service and companion dogs to disabled veterans and former first responders injured in the line of duty.
COMPETITION The SEKC hosts an annual Fall Show and various Obedience/ Agility trials throughout the year, giving members and guests from across the region a great opportunity to enter the ring and receive recognition for the hard work both dogs and their owners dedicate to preparing for competition. TRAINING We love puppies, and believe that they – and their human companions – live better together with basic training, but this is just the beginning of the classes we conduct for dogs in the area. From the basics to competition preparation, we offer many class and seminar choices for our members and the community.
- Agility – (Various levels) Teach your dog to jump correctly, jump grids, different types of jumps and tunnels.
- Conformation – (AKC-UKC registered dogs only) Get your dog ready for the show ring.
- Obedience – (Various levels) Build a good relationship with your dog, prevent common behavior problems with the use of games and positive reinforcement. Prepare to compete at all levels of obedience.
- Nose Work – (Various levels) Inspired by working detection dogs, Nose Work is the fun search and scenting activity for virtually all dogs and people. This new sport builds confidence and focus in many dogs, and provides a safe way to keep dogs fit and healthy through mental and physical exercise. Coming soon.
- Rally – (Dogs with basic obedience skills only) The newest AKC sport, dogs and their owners make their way through a complex course showcasing obedience skills – a fun experience for people and pets.
- Therapy Dog Manners Class – (Some restrictions apply) This class will help you and your dog prepare to test for certification by TDI. The SEKC does not train therapy dogs but works closely with TDI to support this valuable program.
- Seminars offered throughout the year in basic training, obedience, agility and nose work. Find the class that’s right for you and your dog on our website. MEMBERSHIP Sioux Empire Kennel Club members are active participants in club activities, serve on committees, and assist with the annual Fall Show and any Obedience/ Agility Trials hosted by the club. Membership fees: $20/ year – Single* $25/year – Family*
To be considered for membership applicants are required to attend a minimum of two meetings and have written sponsorship of two SEKC members in good standing. General membership meetings – 7 pm on the second Tuesday of each month at our facility at the Old McDonald’s farm building, W.H. Lyons Fairgrounds. Board meetings – Monthly, prior to the general membership meeting. Guests are welcome to attend general meetings and volunteer at events. Download an application from our website and become a member today.
SEKC Facilities – Old McDonald’s Farm Building W.H. Lyons Fairgrounds |100 N Lyon Blvd Sioux Falls, SD 57107 | siouxempirekennelclub.org
As seen in South Side Living Magazine- Article Credit: Krista Haynes